How to Sponsor Parents to Get a Green Card as a US Citizen

Upon their 21st birthday, US citizens can sponsor their foreign parents to receive legal permanent residence.

Parents of children born in the United States can apply for a Green Card or permanent legal residence through their son or daughter. This as long as the son or daughter is 21 years old. Being considered immediate immediate family members under Immigration Law, they can apply for legal permanent residence (LPR).

"The "direct relatives"From a United States citizen, defined as their spouse, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and their parents, they will always have a visa number immediately available," explains the Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The number of Green Cards delivered per year does not have an established limit amount, so there is no waiting list to be able to request it. However, it is a long process.

The USCIS in Immigration requires applicants to fill out Form I-130, available at the following link:

If the parents of the person with citizenship status are in the United States after legal entry, for example, with tourist visas, they may apply for the Green Card even without leaving the United States.


However, if the parents are in the United States as undocumented, they cannot carry out the procedure from the United States. The first step is to contact an immigration attorney to explain the situation. If an illegal immigrant lives more than 6 years in the United States, he could be barred from entering the United States for up to ten years.

Learn more about the process in the following link:

Related news