Types of travel documents issued by USCIS

El Servicio de Ciudadanía e Inmigración de Estados Unidos (USCIS) expiden cinco tipos de diferentes de documentos de viaje.

USCIS has different types of travel permits, which depend on the immigration status of the applicant. It is important to have these documents when leaving the United States to re-enter the country legally. However, not in all cases it is necessary to request a travel document in order to leave the country.

Among the five types of travel documents issued by USCIS, one of the most requested is the Advance Parole or advance permit. This document allows travel outside the United States and offers the possibility of re-entry without the need to apply for or have a visa. The Advance Parole is used by Deferred Action (DACA) beneficiaries to travel to their countries of origin or other destinations without the need to adjust their immigration status.

However, in these almost having the document does not guarantee re-entry, since that corresponds to the agents of the Customs and Border Protection Service (CBP) at the customs or airport.

Generally, this document is given for humanitarian reasons to refugees or DACA recipients, for example. To obtain an Advance Parole it is necessary to complete the I-131, Application for Travel Document. However, it is also used for people with applications for adjustment of status that are in process, or for asylum seekers who are already in the United States, but are interested in traveling outside the country.

On the other hand, USCIS also issues the Refugee Travel Document. This document is issued to people with refugee or asylee status and to permanent residents who obtained their Green Card due to their refugee or asylee status. Like the Advance Parole, it is requested through form I-131. In addition, refugees who do not have this document may be denied re-entry.

Instead, the Re-entry permit or Re-entry Permit is designed for permanent or conditional residents who seek to leave the country for a year or more. Thus, as long as the permit to re-enter the United States is valid, they may be admitted by any means of entry into the country without having a re-entry visa.

USCIS also issues the travel authorization for beneficiaries of Temporary Protected Status (TPS). Which allows them to travel and re-enter the United States. However, like other travel documents, re-entry is subject to the decision of CBP officers.

Finally, the Document for Transportation or Carrier documentation is available to permanent residents who have been outside the United States temporarily and their Green Card or current re-entry permits were stolen or lost. In these cases, it is necessary to fill out Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Transportation Document).

Related news