What to do if you obtain residency and have DACA in force?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients can apply for lawful permanent residence (LPR) or Green Card through family or employment.

In order for a DACA beneficiary to be eligible for an LPR or Green Card, it is necessary that their entry into the country has occurred legally, that is, through a valid US visa. After that you can get it through immediate family, spouse, employment among others,

However, DACA recipients who entered the country illegally can still apply for their Green Card. To do this, they must leave and re-enter the United States requesting an Advance Parole.

On the other hand, to be eligible to obtain their Green Card, DACA beneficiaries must have their valid permit, which is renewed every two years. However, it is important that those who apply clarify their situation with the Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

In the event that a DACA beneficiary completes the paperwork and receives their residence, it will be necessary to send a letter to the USCIS requesting the cancellation of the DACA case, so that they do not expect a renewal in the future.

This letter must include a copy of the green card on both sides, a copy of approval or your DACA card and also a letter addressed to USCIS requesting the cancellation of the case and explaining why. That is, explain that it will no longer be necessary to be a DACA beneficiary since you are already a legal resident.

Related news

Grandes empresas apoyan a DACA

Empresas del tamaño de Microsoft, Apple, Google y Facebook, apoyan a la Coalición por el Sueño Americano en su labor titánica de defender a DACA, hoy, estas organizaciones mundiales piden al actual presidente dejar el programa tal cual viene funcionando desde 2012.

See news »