DACA Recipients: How to travel abroad and re-enter the US legally?

Being a beneficiary of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is not enough for you to travel abroad and be admitted on your return.

DACA recipients can travel abroad, however, they must first apply for and obtain a special permit called Advance Parole or immigration parole. Through this permit, DACA recipients can travel abroad and re-enter the United States without any problem.

If a DACA recipient travels abroad without Advance Parole, they will lose their DACA status and will be denied entry to the United States. To apply for Advance Parole, it is necessary to complete form I-131 Application for Travel Document, which must contain the surname of the interested party, address, date of birth, type of application and signature: https://www.uscis.gov/es/i-131.

You can consult the detailed instructions for filling out this form at the following link: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf

The filing of the form has a fee of $ 660 USD for people from 14 to 79 years old, and of $ 575 USD for those under 13 and over 80.

Other documents necessary for this process are: a copy of a photo identification, form I-797, which will serve as proof that the applicant is a beneficiary of DACA; a document that supports your trip, for example, a permit from the employer, a document from a relative, a letter from a university, among others depending on the case. These must be translated into English.

In addition, documents from relatives are also necessary, such as birth certificates that prove the relationship of the applicant with his family abroad; two passport-style photographs taken between 1 and 30 days after the Advance Parole was submitted; and information about the trip, or the duration of the trip, for example, documents that prove that the beneficiary will travel by plane or by land.

The waiting time can vary from 3 to 30 months. That is why it is important to submit the application with all the requested documents.

If the application is approved, the interested party will receive form I-512L, which will ultimately be the document that will allow a DACA recipient to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad.

Related news