How to request an extension of stay in the United States?

Learn about the forms and the process to follow to extend your legal stay in the United States if you are visiting.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) allows foreign visitors to extend their stay in the United States. However, they must meet certain requirements.

One of the first eligibility requirements to request an extension is to have been legally admitted to the United States with nonimmigrant status. There are several categories of non-immigrant visas according to the Immigration and Nationality Law, such as visas for vacationers or business; student and exchange visitor visas; and visas for temporary workers.

To renew your non-immigrant status, it must be current, otherwise it will not be possible to continue the process. Similarly, the passport must be valid for as long as the applicant seeks to remain in the United States.

Other requirements include not having committed crimes that take away the right to receive immigration benefits, and there must be no reasons that compel you to leave the country.

If you meet the requirements, you must complete form I-539, which you can obtain here: The filing fee is USD 370 and an additional USD 85 for biometric services.

After filling out the form, you must submit it either by mail, or electronically online. When submitting it, check the status of the application by entering your assigned case number in the following link: If you meet the requirements you must complete the I-539 form, which you can obtain here:

Learn more at the following link from the United States government:

Related news