What to do in case of theft or loss of work permit?

If you lose your Employment Authorization Permit (EAD) for any reason, you must contact the Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

In case of theft or loss of EADs, Deferred Action (DACA) beneficiaries should immediately contact USCIS at 1-800-375-5283. In addition, it is important that they have evidence on hand such as the previous expired permit or the renewal sheet of the lost permit.

If you have a copy of the lost or stolen EAD, some less strict employers may accept it as valid. However, you need to apply for a new permit. To do this, it is necessary to complete form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization again.

The I-765 form process can be submitted online at the following link: https://myaccount.uscis.gov/. In these cases of theft or loss, it is possible to apply for a fee exception. This process not only applies in cases of loss, it is also valid to replace an EAD that has been damaged or mutilated.

In the event that the process with USCIS continues without progress, it is important to contact an immigration agent again at the telephone number indicated above.

Related news