¿Puedo manejar en Estados Unidos con una licencia de conducir mexicana?

Driver's licenses issued in Mexico, while they are valid, are valid to drive a car owned or rented in the United States.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), explains that current Mexican driver's licenses are valid in US territory 30 days after entering the country. After the first 30 days, it will be necessary to have an International Driving Permit (IDP), issued by US authorities.

However, each state has its own rules, some accept the IDP, or it may be the case that they do not even accept licenses from certain states of the Mexican Republic. In California, for example, after the initial 30 days, you need to obtain a state license in order to drive.

Depending on the state you are traveling to, we recommend that you check information on foreign drivers at the state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). In the same way, it is important to know the traffic regulations that are in force in the state or states that you visit. You can find this information at the following link, selecting the state you are going to visit: https://www.usa.gov/motor-vehicle-services

For example, to rent a car in some states the valid foreign driver's license must be sufficient to meet that requirement, however, in other states the IDP may be necessary.

In the following link you can find information about the IDP: https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving.

Related news