DACA recipients can travel abroad with USCIS permission without being barred for unlawful presence

Deferred Action (DACA) beneficiaries can travel abroad by requesting an advance parole at the Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Al viajar al extranjero, muchos beneficiarios DACA se preguntan si perderán sus beneficios tras su salida del país o si podrán ingresar de nuevo. Sin embargo, gracias al advance parole, los beneficiarios de DACA pueden viajar al extranjero de forma legal.

The unlawful presence rules explain that immigrants who leave the United States after six months of entering illegally will be barred from entering the country for three years. Even undocumented immigrants who have stayed a year or more can receive a ten-year bar if they are deported.

Foto: univision.com

However, for DACA beneficiaries, the rules are different, as they can process the Advance Parole or immigration parole, which is issued through the USCICS. Thanks to this permission, DACA beneficiaries can travel abroad and re-enter the United States without any problem and keep their benefits.

In this way, if a DACA beneficiary travels abroad without Advance Parole, they will lose their DACA status and will be denied entry to the United States. To apply for Advance Parole, it is necessary to complete form I-131 Request for Travel Document, which must contain the surnames of the interested party, their address, date of birth, the type of application and signature: https://www.uscis.gov/es/i-131.

You can consult the detailed instructions for filling out this form at the following link: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf

The filing of the form has a fee of $ 660 USD for people from 14 to 79 years old, and of $ 575 USD for those under 13 and over 80.

Other documents necessary for this process are: a copy of a photo identification, form I-797, which will serve as proof that the applicant is a beneficiary of DACA; a document that supports your trip, for example, a permit from the employer, a document from a relative, a letter from a university, among others depending on the case. These must be translated into English.

In addition, documents from relatives are also necessary, such as birth certificates that prove the relationship of the applicant with his family abroad; two passport-style photographs taken between 1 and 30 days after the Advance Parole was submitted; and information about the trip, or the duration of the trip, for example, documents that prove that the beneficiary will travel by plane or by land.

The waiting time can vary from 3 to 30 months. That is why it is important to apply in advance.

If the application is approved, the interested party will receive form I-512L, which will ultimately be the document that will allow a DACA recipient to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad.

Related news